Monday, July 31, 2006

Beginning in New Jersey

A Denver Girl in New Jersey...

Well.... it's official, we are now domiciled in New Jersey.
(Of course, for all you law friends of mine, can one be domiciled when one has all the indicia of residency, but has neither the desire, nor the intent, to remain too long?) We have the job, the house, our stuff, but I wanna go home!!! (Wah!)

Our trip out was quite an interesting experience. To begin with, we had to rush into the airport because the helpful (overly so) man at curbside check-in raced away with our luggage before we could have our long, lingering goodbye with my parents. So instead, we had a quick hug and kiss each, and ran after his quickly retreating frame. Luckily, we were able to have a lovely breakfast with them before heading out, so I do not feel as bereft as I could.

Then, Monkey and I went through security with one backpack, a carry on, a Siamese cat in a carrying case, and three laptops. This took quite some time. All the laptops had to be removed and placed in individual containers. Then the cat had to be removed. (Yes! I had to remove a very unhappy, scared, and quite pissed off Siamese from her carrier in the middle of DIA security and desperately hold onto her while they scanned the carrier for bombs and other terrorist equipment.) Once I was completely covered in fur and scratched beyond recognition I was allowed to shove the cat, now with 20 unbelievably long legs (all resisting), back into the carrier and remove my shoes for inspection. Sigh. Finally, I was able to pack up all the laptops and creatures and proceed to the train to concourse A.

On the train, Monkey somehow managed to get her arm stuck in between the wall inside the train and the hand rail. She screamed bloody murder for three of the longest minutes of my life while I attempted to find the one position in which she had managed to shove her elbow into this tiny space to begin with. Meanwhile, the cat screamed like a dying baby and the passengers all fervently hoped they were flying no where near me. Finally, after asking Monkey to straighten her arm several times, each with increasing intensity, she was free. The train arrived at concourse A, we got off, set down our stuff, and cried for a while.

When we were feeling more like ourselves, we got up, and began our trek to the gate. Once there, we were basically calm for an hour. There was a brief panic when Monkey left her Nalgene bottle in the bathroom, and I thought I would have to trek back into it with the backpack, carry-on, and cat. Thankfully, an angel disguised as a fellow passenger went in and got it for me. Once again, I am both touched and disturbed by how sweet and helpful people are. Touched because I so obviously need their help, and disturbed because I am now that person who so obviously needs their help!! Ah, the days when I used to travel with a backpack, and nothing else, for two weeks. :(

Once on the plane, things were all right. Chloe's carrier did fit nicely under the seat, and she was quiet for the first hour. Of course, the in-flight movie was "Good Night and Good Luck", so Monkey was bored right away, but I had thought ahead and packed a gazillion little travel packs from Target, so she was all right. These are by far the coolest idea in kid entertainment I have encountered in ages, especially at a dollar a piece. Each kit comes in a see through, colorful, plastic, zipper container with a key chain. Her favorite kit contains a glue stick, several colorful foam pieces, and pictures to glue the pieces to. We also had a card kit, with four miniature cards and envelopes, a stamp pad, stamps, stickers, and a pen. There are bracelet kits, watch kits, Mirror and Frame kits, etc. I love them all. I have bought about 50 of them. I will cry when they are gone.

So, back to the plane... Monkey was an angel, entertaining herself with these great kits. Therefore, the occasional Yowl! from Chole was not too bad, and usually she was quieted with a pet or two. I started to relax a little. Contintental still serves meals, so we actually had a hot and yummy dinner on the plane. I relaxed more. Then the baby three seats up began to scream. Non-stop for the remainder of the flight. I could hear her through my ear plugs. Chloe could hear her in her carrier. Chloe commiserated with the baby in loud and strident tones, though I doubt anyone heard her. I compensated my seatmate by producing an extra pair of earplugs. (Which I had because I recently took the bar, and in a moment of OCD induced mania purchased about 40 sets of earplugs "just in case".)

We finally got to New Jersey, got lost on the way home, had to stop at Target to get a litter box, but finally got home with food, cat, luggage, and kid. Safe and sound.

Our house is still packed, as we are still waiting for carpet removal, but the landlords have responded to us, and they will be gone within the week!! Yay!!

I miss you all, I miss the mountains, I miss the low humidity, and indistinguishable accents.

8 comments:

Scylla said...

Thanks! I am happy the ordeal is over!

Anonymous said...

What indistinguishable accents?

Scylla said...

Okay, except for yours dear, which is as unique as the day is long! ;)

Anonymous said...

Duckie, you've earned your Nightmare Journey badge. And I'm so glad you encountered helpful people, even though their presence has cast you into a new category. As to the non-existent long, lingering goodbye: your dad & I would've had our tearful meltdown at the airport rather than at home. Messy & debilitating.
Love your new blog, particularly the "ca-ching" link, which, as you know, has long been a favorite.
Hugs & kisses to all at your house from all here. Much love.
Mom

Scylla said...

I love you greatly too! I will not be upset with you for wishing me home quickly.

Anonymous said...

I miss you so much already! Hopefully we can get together on one of my visits to the East Coast. Have you already noticed that people out west are much more laid back than east coasters?

Scylla said...

Try all of them!! Everyone here is in such a rush!! And NO ONE CAN DRIVE A CAR!! They think they can! but no!

Anonymous said...

I bet your skin is loving the humidity. It's hot here, too, though it cooled down thanks to a wandering storm. Even got a little rain!!!
One of the few things I enjoyed about the east was the abundance of plantlife. Not so much the bugs. Gack to the fleas. Chant oms, baby.
Love you,
Mom

Search Me