Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's in my life! (WARNING: ensuing Hallmark card moment)

Motherhood is always challenging, always interesting, and always worth it, even though it may not feel like it at 3 am when you haven't slept in a month. I just bury my nose in my baby or kiddo's hair, breathe deeply, and remember that one day I will watch them tear their hair out over their own children. (Revenge! Ask my Mom, she says it's sweet!)

To all the women I know who deal with poo, vomit, car crashes, late curfews, problems at school, the "yeah-but"'s, the "gimmies", rolling eyes, stomping feet, etc... you are wonderful people whose actions everyday are growing more wonderful people. You have the most important job on earth! Thank you for listening to me complain, helping me come up with solutions, commiserating when all seems lost, and generally being my village.

I won't forget to cherish the handmade flower pots, and photo magnets, the sticky hugs and kisses, the smiles and giggles, the fact that my child still wants to play with me and hasn't yet discovered I am the least cool person on earth, soft baby sounds, surprise room cleanings, and everything else that helps make all the sleeplessness worth it.

Thanks to my Mom, without whom I wouldn't be here, I wouldn't be happy, and I wouldn't be me. Thank you for yelling at me, hugging me, making me brownies, coming out to help me with Otter, helping me raise Monkey, being my friend, getting drunk with me, and sharing in many sarcastic judgmental moments with me while somehow still thinking I am a good person!!

I love you!

Speaking of motherhood... ask not for whom the baby cries... he cries for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you, Catt. I don't know how I was so lucky, but I got the best daughter and the best son in the whole world. What are the odds?
XOXOXOXO

P.S. Definitely mai tais on the beach one of these fine day.

Woman with a Hatchet said...

That was so sweet!

I was busy geeking out. No update on my blog today. Maybe tomorrow!

Happy Mom's Day!

Search Me