Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Thoughtfulness lasts forever...

When my daughter turned four, my friend Tessa purchased and decorated an old trunk, then went around to all the area thrift stores and purchased small dresses and skirts, hats and shoes, and other dress up items. The result? A beautiful and well stocked dress up trunk that has served us well for the past two years.
Her thoughtfulness has lasted, not only because the items in the trunk have given us hours upon hours of fun and entertainment, but also because she taught us a precious lesson.
Do not spend twenty dollars on a Disney approved mock up dress for your child, spend twenty dollars on five size two prom dresses, and stick them in a decorative hat box or trunk.
I was reminded of this lesson today when my father ran me by the Salvation Army to look at book shelves. All of their clothes were on sale for .99 cents, and before I could blink, I found myself perusing the dress area for small gowns for Marlena to parade around in.
Soon, she will have a small, yet fun dress up trunk here at Nama's, to play in with friends and cousins whenever we come to town. We will no longer face the travel boredom that comes with leaving all our toys behind. Instead, she will be excited to come and play in the trunk she can't play in when she is home, as will her friends.
Thank you Tessa, for giving us a gift that has truly kept on giving.

Ooh, and check out the huge 75% off sales at Baby Dagny!!

2 comments:

Red Flashlight said...

A brilliant idea! One of my favorite events as a child was visiting Grand-mere's house, and the giant trunk of antique "dress up" clothes she had saved for my sisters and I over the years.

Amy Y said...

That is a great gift! I, the thrift store princess, am in much awe of the creativity and thoughtfulness! Go Tessa! :)

Search Me